Re: GUI/Wmaker system shutdown app?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I've set up a GNU/Linux system for my folks to use and am dissatisfied
>with one aspect of it:  there's no good, simple way I'm aware of to shut
>down the system from the window manager of choice (WindowMaker).
>
>I've granted access w/o password, via sudo, to 'shutdown -h now'.  It
>would be possible to create a menu item with this command, but it would
>not have a confirmation, which IMO should exist.

Can't help with a pointer to a dedicated app, but you could at least
built a poor man's confirmation in WMRooutMenu:

( "Shutdown", EXEC, sure.sh "%a(Shutdown,Shutdown now [y/n?])"

...where sure.sh is something like

#!/bin/sh
if [ $1 = "y" ]; then sudo shutdown -h now; fi

>KDE _would_ be a great desktop, but it isn't currently available in
>Debian/Stable.  I'm likely headed in this direction though long-term.  I
>do think that WMaker plus GMC (for desktop icons for storage & a file
>browser) is a pretty good, simple, desktop.

I've been running wmaker with kfm (as of KDE 1.1.2) for a long time on
one machine. It's quite nice. You'd need to built qt1, kdesupport,
kdelibs and (selected parts of) kdebase. If optimized aggressively
(-fno-exceptions adn stuff for both QT and KDE), this would give you a
functional and quite fast file manager.

It's a pity KDE 2 doesn't play nicely with window managers other than
kwm.

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>