Re: Printproblem with CUPS and LaserJet 1100

Keith G. Murphy wrote:
Gast CPU20 wrote:

Hey Boys and Girls!

I want to achieve that my LaserJet 1100 provides printing for my windows-network. Unter Suse I did this with Samba and some printing-installing with Yast. Under Debian I heard CUPS is the right utility. So i installed Cups and tried to configure it with my printer. The problem is, that Cups only gives me the possibility to connect the printer to a serial port - but my printer is on the paralell port.

The only time I've seen this, the (self-built: my bad) kernel was not
set up properly to use the parallel port for printing.  Take a look at
your kernel configuration, especially if you built your own.  There are
*3* different settings you need to make to enable this:
PARPORT
PARPORT_PC
PRINTER

Do the appropriate grep on .config.

And do /dev/lp0 and/or /dev/lp1 exist at all?

I also see this problem with the CUPS html interface and I'm running kernel-image-2.4.5-686 from woody/testing. I finally got my parport to show up after fiddling around with lpadmin a little (I also installed cupsomatic) and then cupsd died and I never could get the parport to show up again. Now the only way I can configure my printer is with lpadmin and I keep getting stair-stepping ascii text output... I've been meaning to try some other things but haven't gotten around to it. I've noticed, however, that this kernel image has ecn enabled by default (took a while before I figured out why I couldn't reach half the sites I went to and my pop mail server) so I suppose it's possible that the parport is also not working in it :-)