Re: Folders in Mutt

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 01:02:13PM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> - Nothing ever gets put in my /var/spool/mail/username mbox file, it
> all gets diverted to one of the mboxes listed. The only bummer is that my
> mailcheck at login always says "no mail..." because I haven't booked
> up on the consequences of hacking my MAIL_DIR variable or the default
> login behavior. I've considered replacing /var/spool/mail/username
> with a symlink to ~/Mail/inbox, but since it ain't broken...

instead of the mailcheck thing, if you use procmail you can use
mailstat instead:

	$ mailstat ~/path/to/logfile
	  Total  Number Folder
	  -----  ------ ------
	  67964       6 JUNK-O-RAMA
	   2649       2 cron
	1304826     442 debian-user
	   2835       1 domain-dontuthink.com
	 469406       3 easyDXFtype
	  24138       4 gunk
	  27406      10 mperl
	 395912     134 pg-general
	  20556      26 root
	   2759       2 serensoft
	   2221       1 webmaster-serensoft.com
	  -----  ------
	2538441     684

it'll tell how how many (after how much!) went into each folder,
thanks to procmail. (of course, mailstat COMES with procmail;
i.e. "apt-get install procmail" to get it.)

or if you're sick of procmail, you can use the much more
friendly exim filters (~/.forward files starting with '# Exim
filter') instead, as long as you log correctly:

	# Exim filter
	logfile $home/path/to/logfile 0600
	# ...
	if <some condition> then
		deliver SomeFolderOrOther
		logwrite "From $return_path $tod_log\n Subject: $h_subject:\n  Folder: SomeFolderOrOther\t\t\t  $message_size"
	elif <another condition> then
	# ...

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #79 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>