Massive problems with Gnome/KDE/kdm/gdm & Xinerama

Heh, I think my subject line has covered all the bases :o)

Up until recently, I was happy using gdm and Gnome, then having managed
to free up a second monitor I thought I'd give Xinerama a whirl.
Everything was OK... sort of; it worked, but X suddently acquired an
unpleasant habit of locking solid at random, to the point where even
Magic SysReq doesn't seem to work any more. At other times, it would
just suddenly die and kick me back out to gdm, with a log file message
saying:

  Jul 22 22:15:28 glyndwr gnome-name-server[877]: input condition is:
                                                  0x11, exiting

(that's the last entry in syslog)

That brings me onto the next problem... upon X server death (via
ctrl-alt-backspace, logout, or this random crash) gdm would fail to come
up about 4/5 of the time, resulting in a hard lock and yet another fsck
bootup.

This is getting rather tedious, and I've been meaning to try it anyway,
so I thought I'd give KDE a chance. I've switched to using kdm and
letting that log me into either Gnome or KDE at my option, but now I
have two other weird problems: under Gnome, I have the command

gnome-terminal -e slrn -t slrn --geometry=100x60 --font=gnome-terminal
    --font=-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

in my Foot menu to load slrn. This has stopped working from the menu;
about 9/10 times it spawns a window that immediately closes, and the
other 1 time in 10 it spawns an error box claiming I'm running with
glibc 2.1 and I should read my kernel docs because there was an error
logging in. Except, it works if I just cut&paste that command into an
existing gnome-terminal, and I can run normal gnome-terminals from the
Foot menu fine.

Meanwhile, under KDE, whenever I log in all my Gnome panels start then
promptly start moaning (understandably) that I am not running a Gnome
compatable windows manager! I haven't used KDE long enough to determine
if my random server death has been cured or not.

Normally I enjoy fiddling about with this sort of stuff, but it's
starting to get kinda tedious now, particularly the random server death
under Gnome. Any suggests for sorting any pieces of this mess out gladly
receieved.

I'm running testing & Ximian, all up to date, with a custom-compiled
kernel 2.4.7 (also tried 2.4.5). I'm thinking about trying X 4.1.0 but
have stuck with 4.0.3 for the moment in case that just makies things
worse. My graphics cards are an AGP Geforce (tried both nVidia and
XFree86 nv drvier) and an S3 Virge DX. I'm not sure what other details
may be relevent, so I'll hold off and just mail everything anyone asks
for rather than swell this mail any more.

Thanks in advance!

--
                                          -=R=-
print join " ",reverse split /\s+/,'hacker. Perl another Just',"\n";