Re: Email line-length defaults to about 76; how to increase?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:22:07PM +0200, Matthias Richter wrote:
| Andy Mott wrote on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 07:45:14PM:
| > Bud Rogers (budr@sirinet.net) wrote:
| > >
| > > Ah, yes.  I didn't think of MUA's that call external editors.  I've
| > > used kmail for the last year or so, and gnus for years before that,
| > > so I tend to think of the reader and the composer as one and the
| > > same.  Are there not some settings in .muttrc that are passed to vi
| > > or whoever?
| > >

| > Having been slapped for having a too-long line-length, this was a
| > question I was asking myself (actually, has been for a while). I also
| > use mutt, and spent quite a while searching the documentation for the
| > variable to change it. It turns out the setting is in the editor (I
| > use vim) - as soon as I added 'set textwidth=70' to my .vimrc I had
| > the answer....
|
| You can of course set this variable in your .muttrc as well, so it is
| only used when vim gets called from mutt:
| set editor="vim -f \"set textwidth=70\""

Better yet in your .vimrc put

    au FileType mail set tw=70

When you are writing a mail, vim will set the textwidth to 70 and you
can have a different setting for other stuff (I usually use 80 for
code and plain text documents).  The autocommand stuff is really cool.

-D