re: [OT] HUB question

>hey,
>
>I have two hubs, and I'd like to be able to connect them to each other.
Both
>have a port called "uplink port", do I need to use a cross over cable to
>connect both hubs using their uplink ports, or should I use a normal cable
>connect the both of them?

No you don't. Connecting two similar hubs together, you use straight cable
from uplink-port of the first hub to normal-port of the second hub.
Uplink-port in the second hub is for connecting to the third one... Actually
connecting hubs in serial isn't good idea. I recommend you to use a switch
and then hubs. If you have 8-ports switch, you may connect 8 hubs on it. If
the hubs are 8-ports each, that means 56-ports availability for network.

There are two types of ports in HUBs. Primary type is standard straight
twisted pair, and the another one is that UpLink-port. Difference between
these two ports, is the crossover. Usually in small HUBs, that uplink-port
is wired to the last normal port (ie. 5-port HUB may have 6 connectors, but
only 5-ports) meaning that you can use only uplink or normal port. If you
are connecting two HUBs together, or one or more HUBs to the switch, you
should wire it from that uplink-port with straight twisted-pair cable. If
your HUB doesn't have an uplink-port, you may use standard port and
crossover twisted-pair cable instead. If you are just using one HUB that
does have 5 ports, 4 standard ones and one fixed uplink with no possibility
to switch between crossover or straight, you may use that as 5-ports HUB
when you use crossover-cable in that fixed uplink-port instead using
straight cable to switch or another hub. And so on...

--
Sami Louko (slouko@dlc.fi)