Re: Email line-length defaults to about 76; how to increase?

Andy Mott wrote on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 07:45:14PM:
> Bud Rogers (budr@sirinet.net) wrote:
> >
> > Ah, yes.  I didn't think of MUA's that call external editors.  I've
> > used kmail for the last year or so, and gnus for years before that,
> > so I tend to think of the reader and the composer as one and the
> > same.  Are there not some settings in .muttrc that are passed to vi
> > or whoever?
> >

> Having been slapped for having a too-long line-length, this was a
> question I was asking myself (actually, has been for a while). I also
> use mutt, and spent quite a while searching the documentation for the
> variable to change it. It turns out the setting is in the editor (I
> use vim) - as soon as I added 'set textwidth=70' to my .vimrc I had
> the answer....

You can of course set this variable in your .muttrc as well, so it is
only used when vim gets called from mutt:
set editor="vim -f \"set textwidth=70\""

Matth¡as
--
Matthias Richter --+- stud. soz. & inf. -+-- http://www.uni-leipzig.de
-->    GPG Public Key: http://www.matthias-richter.de/gpg.ascii    <--