Re: Keeping kernel compilation options

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 03:31:01PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> What is the recommended way to keep your responses to the
> kernel configuration options when using the debian kernel
> package tools?

Use kernel-package to build your kernels.  It saves your .config
in /boot/config-<version> so you always knwo the compile options
to the installed kernel.

> I built a 2.4.2 kernel, and would now like to build 2.4.6.

Surprise!  2.4.7 is out.

> I'm concerned that simply copying the .config file (name is from
> memory) is risky because options may get added or removed (even if it
> happens to be safe for the 2.4.2 -> 2.4.6 move).

Copy your old kernel's config the new linux kernel top level source
directory, with the name .config, then type "make oldconfig".  It
will skip all answers that were asked already when configuring the
last kernel, but for all new options, the questions are asked.

> Do the package install scripts do anyhting clever (seems unlikely
> since they don't know where I actually built the kernal)?

There are so many compelling reasons to use kernel-package that
they are listed in a document in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package.
Installing kernel-package will also pull in the other packages
needed to build the kernel from source.  Be sure to use dselect,
or you will miss the suggested and recommended packages.

> While I'm in kernel land, is there a way to get the alsa drivers to be
> built automatically as part of the kernel build (again, using the
> alsa-source debian package)?  I tried before, but didn't have much
> luck.  Is it possible to, e.g., build the 2.4.6 kernel with alsa
> drivers while running 2.4.2?  Or do the drivers end up targetted to
> the current kernel at the time they were built?

Read the kernel-package on how to do this with the modules-image
make-kpkg targets.  Generally, kernel drivers should match the kernel
they were compiled for, yes.

Cheers,

Joost