Keeping kernel compilation options

What is the recommended way to keep your responses to the
kernel configuration options when using the debian kernel
package tools?

I built a 2.4.2 kernel, and would now like to build 2.4.6.

I'm concerned that simply copying the .config file (name is from
memory) is risky because options may get added or removed (even if it
happens to be safe for the 2.4.2 -> 2.4.6 move).

Do the package install scripts do anyhting clever (seems unlikely
since they don't know where I actually built the kernal)?

While I'm in kernel land, is there a way to get the alsa drivers to be
built automatically as part of the kernel build (again, using the
alsa-source debian package)?  I tried before, but didn't have much
luck.  Is it possible to, e.g., build the 2.4.6 kernel with alsa
drivers while running 2.4.2?  Or do the drivers end up targetted to
the current kernel at the time they were built?