Re: it keeps crashing

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin F Krafft <madduck@madduck.net> writes:

Martin> instead, it keeps crashing on me... kernel panic in pid 0
Martin> "process swapper." however, memtest86 reports no errors for
Martin> the RAM chip, and badblocks, run with the destructive write
Martin> option, reports no bad blocks within the swap partition.

My guess is that you simply have not enough memory.

Swap space will only help to a certain extent. There is some
kernel-related data which cannot be swapped out, and once the physical
memory is full (with things which cannot be swapped out), nothing can
help you.

Try disabling all daemons and kernel modules you don't really need and
see if it helps. Also recompile your kernel (preferably on a larger
machine) so it only contains the drivers you actually use.

In your case, I suggest you look at the Linux router project, which
is aimed at setting up a router on a very limited machine.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>