Re: it keeps crashing

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 09:43:39AM +0200, Guy Geens wrote:

> Martin> instead, it keeps crashing on me... kernel panic in pid 0
> Martin> "process swapper." however, memtest86 reports no errors for
> Martin> the RAM chip, and badblocks, run with the destructive write
> Martin> option, reports no bad blocks within the swap partition.
>
> My guess is that you simply have not enough memory.

AFAIK 8MB is enough to boot linux, or it should be.

As to why Martin is having crashes, I don't know.  Try it with a
smaller kernel image size, as Guy suggests, by leaving out options
that you do not strictly need.  Also be sure to use the latest
available 2.2.x or 2.4.x kernel and if the crashes persist, read
the ksymoops documentation and the linux-kernel mailing list faq,
and post a decoded oops on that list.

Cheers,

Joost