it keeps crashing

hi guys,

i have a 486DX-2/66 doing my routing on kernel 2.4.6. it's only got
8Mb of RAM but i am frantically searching for more - it takes FPM, and
that's really hard to find these days (if you have any that you could
spare, would you sell it to me?).

anyway, i configured /dev/hda2 to be a 256Mb swap partition, which
means that the system should be fine but slow because of the excessive
paging it has to do.

instead, it keeps crashing on me... kernel panic in pid 0 "process
swapper." however, memtest86 reports no errors for the RAM chip, and
badblocks, run with the destructive write option, reports no bad
blocks within the swap partition.

i am at a complete loss cause i *know* that linux doesn't just crash
unless it's body is feeling very ill. and yet, i can't seem to find
the error...

please please please help!

all i ask of life is a constant and
exaggerated sense of my own importance.