Re: Setting up printing

"Keith G. Murphy" wrote:

> Dave Sherohman wrote:
> >

> > I use CUPS with a Stylus Color 880 and the stock stcolor.ppd from the
> > cupsys package.  No ghostscript.  No cupsomatic.  It just works.
> >
> Good point.  I do a lot of printing from Netscape; it seems to want to
> output in ps format, and I'm pretty sure I need gs in there somewhere!

Ah!  I figured out what the deal is, using top and old Debian developer
postings.  :-b

If you use stcolor.ppd:

ps output -> pstoraster -> rastertoepson -> printer

And CUPS' pstoraster filter actually *is* a minimal build of gs.

If you use cupsomatic:

ps output -> gs+stp -> printer

It really uses the default gs on your system.