Setting up printing

I've never configured a printer under Linux. I've got an Epson Sylus
Color 740i hooked up via USB, and I've got it to the point where I can
cat files directly to the device and see them printed.

I'm a bit baffled by the number of choices of packages which are
available, as well as the number of printing systems to choose from,
from cups to lpr to half a dozen other choices.

1. Do all of these printing systems need to be configured for printing
   to work in most apps, or are they complementary?

2. Is there a standard "Debian way" for configuring printing? I
   fetched task-printing which brought in a selection of utilities,
   but I don't believe any of them perform any of the configuration
   for me. Certainly, none prompted for the type of printer I'm using.