Re: Setting up printing

Brian McGroarty wrote:

> I've never configured a printer under Linux. I've got an Epson Sylus
> Color 740i hooked up via USB, and I've got it to the point where I can
> cat files directly to the device and see them printed.
>
> I'm a bit baffled by the number of choices of packages which are
> available, as well as the number of printing systems to choose from,
> from cups to lpr to half a dozen other choices.
>
> 1. Do all of these printing systems need to be configured for printing
>    to work in most apps, or are they complementary?
>
> 2. Is there a standard "Debian way" for configuring printing? I
>    fetched task-printing which brought in a selection of utilities,
>    but I don't believe any of them perform any of the configuration
>    for me. Certainly, none prompted for the type of printer I'm using.

Brian, what's been said about CUPS is true, and that's what I use.

In any case, any system you use is going to need a recent Ghostscript
with support for your printer linked in, and I don't believe Debian has
a Ghostscript package with the stp driver, which you'll need for the
Epson 740.

I think I'll submit a wishlist bug for that.

Fortunately, there's this:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-print/gs_5.10stp-10_i386.deb

You'll want the cupsomatic package, which is in Debian testing now.  I
notice there's a ppd for the stp driver and for the stc740ih.upp
driver.  If anyone's tried the latter, I'd be interested in knowing how
that worked out.