Woody -> Installation of XFree86 _BIG_ Problem

Hello,

I first upgraded from potato to woody, with only the essential : console tools.

I then decided to install XFree86 (with dselect).

But after downloading, and configuring some packages, my screen got frozen on the xserver-common / xserver-xfree86 script configuration.
I could'nt go back to a prompt, no more term was available (I tried ALT+F1..F7, CTRL+ALT+F1..F7)...
I tried CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.
Nothing. I had to reboot, I've done it.

I repeated this steps several times, but it always ended the same way.

I then tried to remove the packages => errors, reboot, errors, reboot.

I finally tried with dpkg (after a RTFM of man dpkg :-) :
dpkg --ignore-depends=xserver-xfree86 --purge xserver-xfree86
but it returned :
dpkg: error processing xserver-xfree86
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 10
and I had to reboot again :-((((

What should I do ?

Thanks for helping me.

Laurent PETIT.
PS: I still have a 2.2.17 Kernel (it may be important ?), My graphic card is an ATI Rage Pro.