Re: locatedb question

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 at 15:19:06 -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:

[Please do *not* cc me on list mail. I read the list. Thanks.]

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Perhaps it's ignoring some of the paths and filesystems it's told to
> > prune in /etc/updatedb.conf? Those are only noticed by the cron job, not
> > by casual use, unless you source that file.
>
> Well, the thing is, the only difference is that i'm running it as root,
> instead of nobody.  The updatedb.conf is the same for both.

As I said the first time, updatedb.conf isn't used in casual use of
updatedb. Look at the cron job:

  [cjw44@riva ~]$ cat /etc/cron.daily/find
  #! /bin/sh
  #
  # cron script to update the `find.codes' database.
  #
  # Written by Ian A. Murdock <imurdock@debian.org> and
  #            Kevin Dalley <kevin@aimnet.com>

  if [ -f /etc/updatedb.conf ]; then
    . /etc/updatedb.conf
  fi

  cd / && updatedb --localuser=nobody 2>/dev/null

That '.' means that the contents of updatedb.conf are read and used to
set environment variables. If you were doing this manually, I apologize,
but the transcript of what you did didn't indicate this.

Cheers,