Characters shown as ? in mutt

Hi J?rgen,
	I am having difficulty reading your name in mutt where it shows up as
"J?rgen". The problem is even worse in Xemacs and in regular Emacs where
it is shown as "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22J=FCrgen_A=2E_Erhard=22?=".
	There was some discussion on the list a while ago about this sort of
thing where the recommendation was to set the $LANG to DE. First, where does
this information reside (what file do I need to edit?) and second, does this
affect the display of ordinary English prose (I notice that you live in
Germany but write good English so will know about this)?
	At present, when I "~$ echo $LANG", I get "C" which is, I think, the
Debian default.

Thanks, Doug.