Re: How to set up a "prefect" router

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:33:49PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an old 486 DX33Mhz PC. I'd like to set it up as a router. It has a
> Ethernetcard,  250MB HDD and no CDROM.
> What is importatnt to look at? Should i use a 1 floppy Linux? If yes wichone?
> Should i use debian? Is it important to use kern2.4? Other usful tipps?

I assume you want to set it up and have it just work, for an indefinite
period.  I also assume that if it breaks, *you* have to fix it :).
In that case, consider not using the harddrive.  Along with the
power supply and fans, it is the least reliable component in the system,
and well past its prime.

I think some kind of 1 floppy linux, as you mentioned, might work fine for
you.  Other possibilities are floppy based tftp (aka diskless) boot and
(if you have access to a burner) eprom based tftp boot.

Mike