Re: How to set up a "prefect" router

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:33:49PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> I have an old 486 DX33Mhz PC. I'd like to set it up as a router. It has a
> Ethernetcard,  250MB HDD and no CDROM.
> What is importatnt to look at? Should i use a 1 floppy Linux? If yes wichone?
> Should i use debian? Is it important to use kern2.4? Other usful tipps?

My 386sx20 works fine here, running almost current distribution.  It has
16Mbyte ram, 120 Mbyte disk of which 32Mbyte is swap, a crummy old
ne2000 clone, a modem and an isdn card.  It is mostly used as a mail
gateway and also as a fallback for another router with a cablemodem.

Upgrading it is a little tricky, because there is not enough space to hold
all the packages, so I have to use nfs for that.  It is disabled in normal
init runlevel, but enabled in level 3 and up.  So when I want to upgrade,
I disable outward connections and enable nfs by making init switch to
runlevel 3.  After upgrade, the machine is set to runlevel 2 again.

To win more space for the mail spool, I also do rm -rf /usr/share/doc/*/*
after upgrades.

joost@router:/home/joost
--> [515] $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : unknown
cpu family      : 3
model           : 0
model name      : unknown
stepping        : unknown
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : no
fpu_exception   : no
cpuid level     : -1
wp              : no
flags           :
bogomips        : 3.28

joost@router:/home/joost
--> [516] $ uptime
  7:25pm  up 173 days,  1:01,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

173 days since the machine was moved into a another closet.

Cheers,

Joost