Re: hard drives

On Monday 16 July 2001 09:06, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> also sprach allen wayne best just ramblin in his amx (on Mon, 16 Jul 2001
08:51:12AM -0700):
> > yes, both are "out of the box" kernels. redhat is 2.4.2 from redhat 7.1
>
> i think this may well be your problem. especially newer harddrives
> don't like to be slaves of older stuff (cdroms in particular). i have
> the feeling that kernel 2.4.x addresses this issue, so you might want
> to try one of the 2.4.x kernels on the debian side...

hymm, this is interesting to me. the disk in question is an oooold ide disk.
it is quantum 540 mb disk. i suspect it is the oldest drive, including the
cdrom.

in addition, if i were not seeing hdc already, i would not be as mystified.
on the other hand, given that hdc is there, i would have expected hdd to be
as well. am i missing something here???

--
regards,
allen wayne best

Everybody needs a little love sometime; stop hacking and fall in love!