Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

"der.hans" wrote:

> Am 14. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Joost Kooij so:
>
> > Try to run update again from the dselect menu.  If you keep having
> > problems with the integrity of the /var/lib/dpkg/available file, please
> > post again.
>
> I don't think he can. I think this is the case where debian has no net
> access, but can get stuff off another filesystem via duel-boot with an OS
> that does have net access.
>
> While it would seem good to give debian net access :), he apparently can't
> for some reason.

>From what i've understood, he has installed potato from the boot floppy and the
base system, and is trying to install potato packages, so he need to update
dselect/apt only one time.

> So, now we know dselect needs /var/lib/dpkg/available. Is that simply a file
> that's downloaded? Is it something that's built from other files?
>
> I think he needs to know how to get the content via ftp or http and then how
> to build /var/lib/dpkg/available by hand.
>
> I don't know how.

Never done that, but he probably needs to download the file "Packages" you find
in every debian mirror and rename it accordingly to the name of the apt
source.list, so for the entry

     "deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free"

(correct me if i'm wrong) he need to download the "Packages" file from
"http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary/i386/Packages";, rename
it as "ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages"
and, IIRC, in potato should be put in "var/state/apt/lists", and repeat this for
contrib and non-free...

> Also, could he just edit the one he has and take out one or both of the
> offending entries?

I think yes, carefully editing could solve the problem, the file i alredy broken
=)

Andrea