Re: zip drive?

Jeld The Dark Elf wrote:

> There is a wierd problem with ZIP disks. The ones formatted for
> windows have their main partition at /dev/hdd4 while the ones
> formatted with ext2 are /dev/hdd1. Don't know why.

I've never seen any formatted with ext2 unless I had done it
myself, in which case I did whatever I wanted.

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/ZIP-Drive.txt.gz advised people
to do this in /etc/fstab:

     /dev/sda1 /zip     ext2  noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync
     /dev/sda4 /zipdos  vfat  noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync,mode=0777

  These entries assume that you have a /zip and a /zipdos
  directory.  With the fstab entries as above you can mount a dos
  disk with mount /zipdos If you are using a linux ext2 disk then
  use the command mount /zip

This could explain why many people have taken to do this.

If your Zip drive is SCSI (or you use SCSI emulation to access
it), you can use jazip to access it and it will figure out what
partition the data is on and whether its formatted vfat or ext2.

Peter