xine (testing)

I tried asking this question on the Xine users mailing-list but have
had no response so far, so I thought I would try here. I subscribe to
the digest version of debian-user, but that has been unavailable for a
while now, so if you could copy me on any replies, I'd be
grateful.

I just installed Xine (version 4.3) from testing.  I also installed
xine-dvd-css (from an unofficial debian site).  I'm running kernel
version 2.4.5 and version 4.0.3 of XFree86 (from testing).

My video card is a Matrox Millennium G400. X is configured to use the
mga driver for the card. I have mtrr enabled in the kernel, and the
video card memory information appears in /proc/mtrr.

When I try to start xine, I encounter this problem:

[jim:~] xine
This is xine - a free video player v0.4.3
(c) 2000, 2001 by G. Bartsch and the xine project team
Allocating 2000 buffers of 4096 bytes in one chunk (alignment = 2048)
No extra demux plugins found in /usr/lib/xine/plugins
xine_init: demuxer initialized
found yuy2 format
found yv12 format
video_out_xv: using Xvideo port 46 for hw scaling
X-Video settings: BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, COLORKEY.
Using X Window System video extension for video output.
set_image_format_xv(): width=720, height=405, ratio=3
scaled picture size : 726 x 405 (corr_factor: 1.009043)
video_out_xv: reset_xv
Using MMX for IDCT transform
Using 3DNOW for motion compensation
xine_init: video thread created
xine_init: SPU thread created
autodetected OSS audio driver
xine_init: audio thread created
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_stdin_fifo.so(input_stdin_fifo.so)
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_file.so(input_file.so)
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_net.so(input_net.so)
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_vcd.so(input_vcd.so)
input_dvd: unable to open raw dvd drive (/dev/rdvd): No such file or directory
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_dvd.so(input_dvd.so)
xine_init: plugins loaded
xine: could not connect to socket
xine: No such file or directory
debian-user but didn't find anything useful. There is a bug report
(#98147) describing a partially similar problem (`could not connect to
socket'), and a response from the maintainer suggesting that the
problem has to do with broken xvideo support in the Xserver. But
running xine -s (to force use of X shared memory extension rather then
the Xv extension) produces the same error:
[jim:~] xine -s
This is xine - a free video player v0.4.3
(c) 2000, 2001 by G. Bartsch and the xine project team
Allocating 2000 buffers of 4096 bytes in one chunk (alignment = 2048)
No extra demux plugins found in /usr/lib/xine/plugins
xine_init: demuxer initialized
Using X Window System shared memory extension for video output.
yuv2rgb: 16 bpp, mode : 1
yuv2rgb: using MMX for colorspace transform
Using MMX for IDCT transform
Using 3DNOW for motion compensation
xine_init: video thread created
xine_init: SPU thread created
autodetected OSS audio driver
xine_init: audio thread created
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_stdin_fifo.so(input_stdin_fifo
so)
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_file.so(input_file.so)
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_net.so(input_net.so)
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_vcd.so(input_vcd.so)
input_dvd: unable to open raw dvd drive (/dev/rdvd): No such file or directory
input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_dvd.so(input_dvd.so)
xine_init: plugins loaded
xine: could not connect to socket
xine: No such file or directory

I don't understand what `raw' devices are, although I know that they
are a feature of the 2.4.x series kernels. I've not had much luck
getting information on how to set them up though. Is it crucial to use
them? It's also not clear to me whether or not the error message
`could not connect to socket' derives from, or is separate from, the
error message about raw devices.

Is there someone who could help? I'd be very grateful indeed,

Jim