Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 12:28:53PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Either use "dpkg --update-avail /path/to/packages/Packages", then deselect
> to decide what packages you want. Inside dselect you can choose to install
> packages. Before they can be installed you'll need to download the
> appropriate debs.

Yes.

> Joost, at the point they've been dselected he can run "dpkg
> -l | grep ^in" to get a list of packages to download. Is there a better way?

That would print all the installed or installable packages.  You are
only interested in the specifically upgradable ones.

You want to run from the command line:

  apt-get --print-uris dselect-upgrade

> He then puts the debs in /var/cache/apt/archives/? Install via "apt-get
> dselect-upgrade"?

I think that should get you a long way.  I haven't tested it though.

> PS: Joost, thanks for all the info. I've learned quite a bit.

That makes the circle round, I learnt most of it on debian-user.

Cheers,

Joost