Re: Setting up printing

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Brian McGroarty wrote:

> I've never configured a printer under Linux. I've got an Epson Sylus
> Color 740i hooked up via USB, and I've got it to the point where I can
> cat files directly to the device and see them printed.
>
> I'm a bit baffled by the number of choices of packages which are
> available, as well as the number of printing systems to choose from,
> from cups to lpr to half a dozen other choices.
>
> 1. Do all of these printing systems need to be configured for printing
>    to work in most apps, or are they complementary?

You'll need to set it up. I strongly recommend trying to get cups working.
There is a guide for getting cups/gimp-print working off
www.linuxprinting.org which you might think worthwhile looking at (
http://www.ebbs.com.au/~mark/cups-gimp-print.html ), and it actually
mentions Debian. Note also that there is a nice frontend called qtcups for
cups. There are others, but this is the one I use.

The gimp-print page ( http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ ) has

EPSON Stylus Color 740    Fully Operational

I don't see the Epson Stylus Color 740i mentioned here, but the
corresponding page on www.linuxprinting.org says it is exactly the same as
the 740. ( http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=62112 )
See top of the page for comment about 740i. It also says "The gimp-print
"stp" driver also supports this printer with the best color results."

                                              Faheem.