Re: dpkg problem

    Joost> When you purge a package, not only will its conffiles be
    Joost> removed, dpkg will not know that it ever was installed.  So
    Joost> if you later reinstall the package and for some reason some
    Joost> conffile still exists, it will be overwritten with the
    Joost> default package conffile.

If you look at dpkg in isolation, this is correct.

Be aware, though, that if the package is debconf'ized, debconf will
still have the *answers* to the configuration questions posted via
debconf in its own database.  So --purge and reinstall will not get
rid of those.

I could be speaking out of my ass here, however... ;-)

Bye, J

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sourceforge.net)
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard