Re: Summary: MUA clients similar to Outlook

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:14:56PM -0700, Kurt Lieber wrote:
| Thanks to all who posted constructive feedback regarding my question
| about MUAs.  Here's a synopsis of the suggestions, along with URLs for
| the various products:
|
| KDE2.2/Kmailer -- http://www.kde.org/
| Screenshot: http://www.kde.org/screenshots/large/kde2b3_2.png
|
| Looks promising.  However, as I mentioned in my previous message, I'm
| brand-new to Linux so I'm going to stick with Gnome for now until I get
| more comfortable with general system administration.

You can use Qt/KDE apps while using GNOME for the desktop -- you just
need to install the proper libs (for example libqt and libkde).

| GNUS -- http://www.gnus.org and http://my.gnus.org
| Screenshot: http://my.gnus.org/screenshot.php?id=25
|
| I believe this can run in a console (i.e. no X) which is definitely
| appealing.

yep.

| Requires emacs, which I haven't learned yet (still working
| on vi) so it may be a while before I give this one a shot.

FYI mutt also runs in a console and allows you to pick your editor.
You can use "gedit" if you want (a GNOME notepad-lookalike) or vim or
emacs.

| Someone else mentioned Balsa in passing.  I used Balsa a couple of
| months back and found the IMAP support to be rudimentary at best.  I was
| also annoyed at the number of different windows you had to open just to
| open a single message.  It's also designed (IIRC) purely as an email
| client.  Give it a few months to mature and I think it will be a solid
| candidate for pure email.

It is a great candidate for _pure_ email, except it doesn't have list
support like mutt does (it also can't run without X).  I seem to
recall that I didn't like its behavior with IMAP, but I learned to
setup fetchmail and that problem disappeared immediately (HINT: check
out fetchmail :-)).  Also I would view messages with a window like
this :

 +-----------------+
 |   |             |
 |   |-------------|
 |   |             |
 |   |             |
 |   |             |
 +-----------------+

The left-hand column showed the folder list.  The top box showed the
message headers for the current folder and the lower box showed the
message contents.  I didn't have multiple windows.  I think there is a
config option for it.  The other problem I had with it was I couldn't
(easily) use vim as my editor.

Has anyone mentioned Mahogany yet?  You may want to look at it,
http://mahogany.sourceforge.net.  It even runs on windows too (BTW,
gnus and mutt run on windows as well; mutt requires cygwin though, I
think (that's how I'm using it anyways)).

AFAIK mutt and gnus are the only mailers that do a good job of dealing
with mailing lists (anyone have experience to the contrary?) with the
(well, so I've heard about gnus, haven't tried it myself).  Some
people have mentioned that a few other MUAs have a threading view
also.

-D