Using apt

Hi - I'm a little confused by apt and wonder how I can best make use of
it...

Basically I can download packages for free from work and then bring them
home on ZIP to my computer there. What is the best way of maintaining an
archive on the computer that has all the deb files?

I currently have a directory /usr/local/src/debs but I can't make an entry
in /etc/apt/sources.list that will make dselect automatically see this
directory as a source.... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Wood
Imperial College