Re: Mozilla + Java for potato

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:39:03 -0700
Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 07:48:12AM -0300, Christoph Simon wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:32:37 -0700
> > Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see a package named libc6g-dev in debian (web search form, all
> > > distributions).  Do you mean libc6-dev?  There is xlib6g-dev.
> >
> > That was on potato only (guessing...)
>
> I searched all distributions for the package.  It's not there.

I just searched for it in deselect, and you seem to be right: it's not
there. While trying to trace down when java starts/stops working
according to the installed debian packages, I manually copied the
package changes to a temporary file. Most probably I made a typo
somewhere. Sorry.

> I have not tried running mozilla as root.  Maybe that will help.  I
> just tried to get the plugin yesterday.  It was odd: the dowload was
> much longer than the site said, and also much larger (at least 15mg).
> I wonder if permission issues are making it retry...
>
> By the way, does anyone know if there's anywhere I might still find the plugin download on my disk?  It was in /tmp while it was downloading.

The plugin install process fetches more than just one file, so those
15MB sound correct. If you resize the window during download, the full
path of the source location is displayed. The files in that directory
have funny extensions, but essentially they seem to be just (win)zip
files. I tried to do something useful with them, but IIRC at some
point java or javascript was required to continue. That's why I
thought it easier to use the default instllation procedure.

--
Christoph Simon
datageo@terra.com.br
---