Re: DMA error

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:14:08PM -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
> I've recently been encountering some HDA errors/warnings that might be
> serious. I'm using the following hdparm script:
>
>     hdparm -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda
>
> This script is executed on startup. I see the following errors in
> `dmesg`:
>
>     hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>     hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>     hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>     hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>     hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>     hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>     hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>     hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>     ide0: reset: success
>
> What do these errors mean? How serious is the problem? What should I do
> to fix it?

In 99% of cases, it means: cabling problem.

Get a real udma66 cable, a better motherboard or a better power supply.
Most likely you don't have a udma66 compliant cable or it is not plugged
in correctly (connect the udma drive to the connector at the end of the
cable, plug the other end in the controller socket).

> I can find the specs on the IDE controller + hard drive, but I don't
> have them handy -- so tell me if they'd be helpful and I'll dig them up.

The specs on your cable is more interesting, at first glance.

Cheers,

Joost