Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

hi brian...

dont mention that you use ftp ....  if its tunneled thru ssh ...
its not an issue... ???
	if you use ssh, use scp instead of ftp anyway...
	if you dont have anonymous ftp... you dont need ftp at all

if you turned off stuff you dont use... you have a reasonable box
if you have also applied the lastest patches

if their in house admin gets annoying..ask him to break into your box...
and/or apply all the scripts to try to gain access...
and than do the same to all the NTs/Win98/Win95/Suns/HPs/IBMs etc..etc..
	- there's a hole already there... adding your linux box is not
	gonna make it any worst??

all boxes can be broken into if one wanted too... but...
how much time and $$ does one want to spend and what would one gain ???

you can also run nmap on their network to see how many other linux
boxes is on the network... not just yours

-
- i would NOT tell um its linux.... and let it go...
- bring in a laptop w/ linux too and check their network for linux
- boxes already there.. that they dont know about ?? ...
-

==
==
== if a [cr/h]acker does get into your PC from the outside...
== they have a major firewall issue... not that you have a linux box...
==
==

have fun
alvin