Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

At 994908313s since epoch (07/11/01 22:25:13 -0400 UTC), George C. Marshall wrote:
> Samba does like to be the master browser, but it doesn't really matter who
> is the master browser; in fact, having it be a Samba system is probably
> *better* since it is more likely to be stable, cutting down on the number
> of elections and improving performance overall :}
>
> On the other hand if Samba wants to be the domain controller you will
> cause havoc, similar to if you were claiming to be the NIS master server.

Thanks for the correction; I was getting my stories confused.  I meant
PDC, though I mixed in some browse master stories there...

Don't (try to) make your machine the PDC, that's what I meant.

As for Browse Master, it can be a problem on a large network.  On our
college lan, before they segmented it, all ~1000 windows boxes would
participate in browse master elections.  The PDC would always win,
since it had backup NT boxes to vote for it, but the election itself
was a killer on the network.  The IT staff asked everyone to turn off
browse master on their win 9x boxes to prevent all the yapping on the
network.  While this probably isn't important, I'd set my linux box to
lose elections...

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |     jhealy@logn.net