Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

* Brian Stults (bs7452@csc.albany.edu) spake thusly:
> Hello,
>
> In the fall, I will be starting a new position as Professor of Sociology
> at the University of Florida.  When I interviewed, one of my
> requirements was that I be allowed to run linux on my office computer.
> They said it would not be a problem.  However, now that I have signed
> the contract and am soon to arrive, they have attached some conditions.
> The most serious condition is that I must sign a document stating that I
> am financially responsible for any cost incurred by the University if
> someone hacks into my computer and causes damage to their network.

Do windoze lusers also sign that? If not, you could yell "discrimination".

> Sciences and explain two things: 1) they want to know why I need linux
> instead of using their unix system and having MS Windows on the desktop;

Because it's _your_ desktop. Because you don't know shit about winders.
They can either let you run linux, or pay for your MCSE courses.

> and 2) they want to know that I am conscious of security issues.  If
> anyone has any suggestions for the kinds of things to stress, I would be
> happy to hear them.

Find out if you're talking to someone with a clue. If they're clueless,
get them to tell you what exactly they mean by "security issues" and
address each in turn. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Otherwise it is usually enough to demonstrate that you have a clue, too.

> Here is one concern of theirs, though, that I don't understand.  They
> said one problem with linux is that it will trick their network into
> thinking that my linux box is the main server, thus bringing down a
> system of over 2000 users.

Hmm... that doesn't sound good (clue-wise).

I cannot imagine how this would happen.  The
> only thing I can think of is the issue of the master browser in samba.
>...  Can anyone else think of why this might happen?

Samba or DHCP could do this.

(I suppose there's lots of things that could bring down a windoze
notwork of 2000 users. Like connecting a real OS to it.)

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key