Re: [users] Mail from OE to linux and more

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:50:51PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> On 07/09/01 02:31:03 -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> > I'm yet another person who'd love to completely transition from Windows
> > to Linux. And yes, I use Outlook and yes, getting mail really working on
> > Linux is the biggest obstacle to my completing the transition.
> Yeah, mail is pretty important. I'm in the process of documenting my
> mail setup experience to share with others.

ding! did someone mention my name? oh, that's right, yuo're
DOCUMENTING something. excellent!

	needs more folks like you.

and now we return you to your regularly scheduled email...

> The first thing I did was get exim configured. You need to run
> eximconfig.  I selected option 2 and then proceeded through all the
> questions. I accepted the defaults with the exception of the smtp host
> which I set to mail.xxx.yyy.home.com and sending the postmaster and
> root mail to my user account.
> You then might want to take a look at the exim.conf file and make sure
> the your local_domains has localhost and your hostname listed. Also,
> look for trusted_users and add your local account name there. Mine
> looks like this:
>   trusted_users = mail:mwagnon
> This apparently will make it easier on your Outlook using friends when
> replying to you ;-)
> After that, you're going to need to get the rewriting stuff taken care
> of. Look at the REWRITE CONFIGURATION at the end of the exim.conf
> file. You set up those aliases in /etc/email-addresses.
> Assuming you're able to get mail without any problems with fetchmail,
> you're almost set. For me, procmail is a pain. I use a .forward file
> in my home directory to filter mail. Here's a snippet of mine:

dittos there. my procmail recipes mostly worked, but if i left
them alone for a week i had a helluva time trying to figure out
what was happening in there. very obtuse syntax.

exim filter == much better sane-ness.

>   #   Exim filter   <<== do not edit or remove this line!
>   if error_message then finish endif
>   elif $h_Resent-From: contains "debian-user"
>     then save $home/Mail/IN.Debian-User
>   else save $home/Mail/Inbox
>   endif
> You might want to check the filter.txt.gz file in /usr/share/doc/exim
> for more info on this.

> Mark Wagnon <mwagnon1@home.com>

looking forward to your intro/howto!

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #60 from Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net>
Been hoping to find A FEATURE-PACKED MUTT CONFIG FILE? Check
out the ones at Sven Guckes' site:
There's also some great vimrc ideas there, too.