Re: [users] Mail from OE to linux and more

Hi! This is a little long-winded, so bail now if you're not interested
in newbie mail setup woes...

I'm yet another person who'd love to completely transition from Windows
to Linux. And yes, I use Outlook and yes, getting mail really working on
Linux is the biggest obstacle to my completing the transition.

I like Mutt. I'm willing to learn it. There've been very cool posts to
this list about customizing it. But despite reading the fetchmail man
pages and the relevant sections of Running Linux, the Network
Administrator's Guide, and Linux in a Nutshell, I'm still confused.
Here's what I'm trying to do, advice on both stategy and technique is
appreciated:

Task 1. While logged in to my debian system as 'paul', get my @Home mail
and send all outgoing mail through @Home's smtp server with
'pmackinney@home.com' as the return address. As I understand it, I
should be able to do this without just fechtmail and mutt.

Progress: I've successfully set up a .netrc file in my home directory to
handle the username & password. My.fetchmailrc file is:

poll mail.xxx.yyy.home.com proto pop3 user "pmackinney" is "paul"

and I invoke fetchmail with just the -k argument (because I'm testing).
But outbound mail doesn't get sent.

Task 2. Use exim to forward all administrative and local mail to user
'paul', to a mailbox that mutt can access. This is not working at all,
I've run eximconfig trying each of the 6 default options. As near as I
can figure, the only domain I should really have to set in the exim
config file is localhost, and make sure that the alias file points
everything to 'paul'. But it ain't working.

Once the two above tasks are accomplished, I'll get to work on
customizing mutt, use procmail to sort incoming mail into different
mailboxes, and configure exim/mutt so that messages sent to the local
system get sent with the 'paul@localhost' return address. But these 2
tasks essential for me to feel comfortable in migrating my email from
Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul