Re: Installing on a new system... Is it possible to have the packages I select automatically build from .deb source versions and compiled specifically for my CPU?

On Monday 09 July 2001 01:51, mjevans1983011 wrote:
> I think the topic says most of what I want.
>
> For the first time in about 5 years I am expecting to get (build for my
> self in this case) a new computer system.  With modern hardware packages
> can be compiled in a length of time where it is not unreasonable to expend
> a little more time up front and compile them per CPU.  I'd love to have
> binaries optimized exactly for what my CPU was made with.  Extra cache for
> example might be better optimized for if the kernel on up were at least
> compiled with it in mind.  I wouldn't actually know my self but it seems to
> make sense to me.
>
> Anyway; is this possible?  Can I just put in a boot disk/cd and have all my
> packages compiled on my system to its exact abilities?  If yes, which
> download is it for debian?

Well, not that automatically.  You can always apt-get -b source package to
automatically download the source and compile it (and the pentium-builder
package is supposed to automatically force optimizations for you) but you'll
need a base system installed first.  I guess you could slowly replace all
your default installed packages with more robust, faster ones.

--Brendan