From: Brendan O'Connor [mailto:brendano@stanford.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 03:32
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Installing on a new system... Is it possible to have the
packages I select automatically build from .deb source versions and compiled
specifically for my CPU?
On Monday 09 July 2001 01:51, mjevans1983011 wrote:
> I think the topic says most of what I want.

<Snip>
> Anyway; is this possible?  Can I just put in a boot disk/cd and have all
my
> packages compiled on my system to its exact abilities?  If yes, which
> download is it for debian?

Well, not that automatically.  You can always apt-get -b source package to
automatically download the source and compile it (and the pentium-builder
package is supposed to automatically force optimizations for you) but you'll
need a base system installed first.  I guess you could slowly replace all
your default installed packages with more robust, faster ones.

--Brendan