Re: [users] Re: [OT] detecting the RAM speed

also sprach Brian Nelson (on Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:27:54AM -0400):
> Well, I guess one way you could tell would be from the memory chips'
> latency.  For 133MHz, it would have to be lower than 7.5ns (inverse of
> 133MHz) to be able to run.  Can memtest86 detect the latency?  Or
> maybe the latency is marked on the chips?

i don't think memtest has that capability, and it's not marked on the
chip. i still take it as an indication that the RAM chip is only
detected, if the bus speed is set to 100MHz, not if it is at 133MHz
(i.e. the BIOS reports 512Mb if @ 100MHz, but only 256Mb at 133MHz).

#define emacs eight megabytes and constantly swapping.