Re: kernel-image

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 06:53:32AM +0200, Jesper Holmberg wrote:
> I recently installed Potato from discs, and then dist-upgraded to
> Woody. Now, I was looking into the subject of kernels, and I find I
> have no package named kernel-image, although of course there exists
> one (2.2.17 it seems) in /boot.

I dont think this is a problem.

> Now, what would I do if I wanted to upgrade the kernel to 2.2.X or
> 2.4.X, and why don't I have a kernel-image package?

Fetch and install the desired kernel-image package using your favorite
method (dselect, apt-get, wget + dpkg -i, whatever).

The installaion of the new kernel is nearly fully automated, if things are
in the expected places.  For instance, if the package system finds a sym link
called "vmlinuz" in the standard spot, it make vmlinuz point to your new
kernel and makes vmlinuz.old point to your old kernel.

If you are going to 2.4, you may need to update your /etc/lilo.conf to point
to an initrd image as well as the kernel image.  (man initrd)

The most important thing is to have an alternative way to boot your system
if you screw up (boot floppy or rescue floppy, best to have both).

Mike