Re: [users] NO! chmod strikes!

also sprach JoshNarins@aol.com (on Sun, 08 Jul 2001 04:17:34PM -0400):
> I tried, in a subdir of /root, the command
> chmod -R o-rwx .*
> It changed the permissions on the parent directory,
> the parent's parent directory, all the way up.
>
> Now only root can use my computer.
>
> Was chmod supposed to understand .* so differently
> than /bin/ls does?

yes. you said recursively, and '..', which is a match for .* is a
virtual subdirectory of any directory.

with chmod, if you want to recursively change a directory's
permissions, either do

  chmod -R <perms> directory

from the parent,

or

  chmod -R <perms> .

in the directory.

but anyway, a question for all debianers: how do you get the default
permissions back on the / tree?

oxymoron: micro$oft works