Re: modem diagnostic?

All,

Still can't seem to dial out ...

>  In any
> case, undo whatever -Running Linux- told you to do (simplest way is to
> purge and reinstall ppp).  Then run pppconfig as root, follow instructions,
> and try to connect with pon.  If you have trouble, run plog and post the
> output.

Here's the meat: I did this. Tried every permutation of PAP, CHAP and
CHAT, dialup # with and without area code, and never got beyond this
output from plog:

"pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid0
connect script failed
Exit."

... am going to contact the ISP today to see if there's any information
they can provide. "Connect script failed" to -me- says that the modem is
dialing but that the connection is crapping out because there's something
wrong with the configuration.

However, just to make the picture weirder, I tried wvdial. The wvdialconf
program gave me -this- message:

"Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.

Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3

Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program? Did you
configure it properly with setserial?"

... so I began to explore setserial! Here is what setserial gives for
/dev/ttyS0:

"/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4"

... wufff. Is there anything wrong here? One program can't detect my
modem, but it looks (to my newbie eyes) like the modem is A-OK.

Thanks,

Glenn

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"