Re: modem diagnostic?

Glenn writes:
> Connect script failed" to -me- says that the modem is dialing but that
> the connection is crapping out because there's something wrong with the
> configuration.

Quite the opposite.  Pppd knows nothing about modems.  It calls the connect
script and expects it do deal with the modem and everything else up to the
point where the other end is ready to start ppp.

Plog should return some messages from chat, though.

> Is there anything wrong here? One program can't detect my modem, but it
> looks (to my newbie eyes) like the modem is A-OK.

No, the serial port is ok.  Setserial only knows about serial ports.  It
knows nothing about modems.  Looks like wvdial is telling you that there is
no working modem connected to that port.

See if you can talk to the modem with minicom, and check your other serial
ports.  Perhaps your modem is not on ttyS0: that's usually the mouse.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)