Re: modem diagnostic?

Glenn Becker writes:
> I've installed ppp and pppconfig from my potato CDs,...

Actually, you already had them installed.

> ...and was following instructions I found in -Running Linux-,...

A mistake.

> "The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I couldn't find
> any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so. (None of the
> available passwords would let it use an IP address)."

Do you have a defaultroute pointing to the NIC you use for DSL?  In any
case, undo whatever -Running Linux- told you to do (simplest way is to
purge and reinstall ppp).  Then run pppconfig as root, follow instructions,
and try to connect with pon.  If you have trouble, run plog and post the
output.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org