xv alternatives

Since xv is being removed from the distribution, I would like to find a
new image viewer to use.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one
that's as good as Xv.  eeyes seems pretty nice, but I refuse to install
the necessary GNOME libraries to make it work.  I grabbed the source to
see if it might be possible to build it without GNOME, but it can't be
done.

I've tried xzgv, but that doesn't seem very useful.  It doesn't seem to
be able to modify images at all, or convert between formats.

The features I really want are:
1. Lots of easy keyboard commands (Tab & Backspace were great in XV)
2. Intelligent scaling (I liked the zoom maxspect feature of XV, where
   it would zoom as close as possible to the screensize without changing
   the aspect ratio).
3. Simple image manipulation algorithms.  I especially like the "smooth"
   algorithm, which would attempt to smooth out rought edges that
   resulted from scaling an image.
4. Simplicity.  I don't want to have to install CORBA to get an image
   viewer.  I want a nice, simple image viewer.  I use the GIMP, but
   that's much bigger than what I'm asking for here.

So what do people here like?

Thanks.
noah