Re: GTK Errors using GNOME in Testing

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:02:24PM -0400, D-Man uttered:
> Yes "Enlightened Sound Daemon".  I don't have a sound card in this
> box, but I used to have one and it could only play 1 sound at a time.
> So if I had WinAmp going, and I was working on a presentation in
> PowerPoint, I wouldn't notice that ppt had a default sound to go with
> the animation.  I found out when I started the presentation in class
> (true story!).  When you use ESD, it controls the sound card (/dev/dsp
> usually, I think).  Then apps that want to play a sound request it
> from esd, and esd mixes all the wavs together so that your sound card
> plays all of them.  Reallly cool!  I guess you don't have it
> installed.  Try the search on file names in packages.

Some sound cards do this as well. Moving from my ES1371-based card to a SB
Live, I found multiple sounds could play at once, which was quite nifty, but
it makes it hard when you start Quake2, and go "Do'h! I left XMMS running!"
:-)

--
                                                    Steve
  "I'm a sysadmin because I couldn't beat a blind monkey in a coding contest."