Re: Sendmail in Woody and Netscape auth

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Glenn Ramsey wrote:

> After searching ( looking or the wrong thing! ) for a few hours I
> found a note about turning off mail auth in netscape on this page
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html , and I added
> user_pref("mail.auth_login", false); to my
> .netscape/preferences.js .

I'm surprised you didn't also find this there 'bout:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Modifier=A')dnl

That'll stop sendmail from advertising Authentication...

You'll find that in /usr/share/doc/sendmail-doc/op.txt.gz (and partially
in cf.README.gz).

> Has anyone else had this happen or is it a side effect of of my
> particular sendmail setup? If it is common maybe a little note
> could go in sendmail's README.Debian.

Not a bad idea - wanna send a draft ?

> define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:smtp.paradise.net.nz')dnl

Why force smtp? The default should be relay...

> FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl

Since that's the default name, it'd be better to simply say:
	FEATURE(`virtusertable')dnl
That way, if options are later added (as happened recently for
access_db), you'll not have to re-do the line...

> FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

Hope this isn't on the internet...  You'll be accepting alot of spam
this way, by default, sendmail issues a 4xx responce to temporary dns
failures - that'll just slightly delay mail from misconfigured sites.

> define(`confTO_HOSTSTATUS', `10s')dnl

Why so short, or is your average queue run that short ?

> define(`confME_TOO')dnl

Now the default (since 8.10.0)

--
Rick Nelson
* aj thinks Kb^Zzz ought to pick different things to dream about than