Re: Sendmail in Woody and Netscape auth

Hi Rick,

Richard A Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Glenn Ramsey wrote:
>
> > After searching ( looking or the wrong thing! ) for a few hours I
> > found a note about turning off mail auth in netscape on this page
> > http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html , and I added
> > user_pref("mail.auth_login", false); to my
> > .netscape/preferences.js .
>
> I'm surprised you didn't also find this there 'bout:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Modifier=A')dnl
>
> That'll stop sendmail from advertising Authentication...

Thanks, there is no way I would have found that by myself, didn't
know I was supposed to be looking for DAEMON_OPTIONS, I was
looking for something like FEATURE(`NO_AUTH'). However now that
you point it out I found it in the docs. However it seems like you
have to know a lot of stuff before you find it.

> You'll find that in /usr/share/doc/sendmail-doc/op.txt.gz (and partially
> in cf.README.gz).
>
> > Has anyone else had this happen or is it a side effect of of my
> > particular sendmail setup? If it is common maybe a little note
> > could go in sendmail's README.Debian.
>
> Not a bad idea - wanna send a draft ?

How about something like this, for the FAQ maybe?

I upgraded from 8.9.* to 8.11.* and now netscape Messenger wants
me to enter a user name, what's up?

I think this is because Messenger tries to use the AUTH feature,
which is enabled by default in 8.?.?, but wasn't in 8.9.?, if it
is available. There are at least 2 ways to prevent this happening
if you don't need this feature.

1. You can force Messenger to not use AUTH by adding

user_pref("mail.auth_login", false);

to your .netscape/preferences.js .

2.You can turn off the AUTH feature in sendmail by putting

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`M=A')dnl

in your sendmail.mc .

> > define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:smtp.paradise.net.nz')dnl
>
> Why force smtp? The default should be relay...

Well, it worked... however it still works with the default too.

> > FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
>
> Hope this isn't on the internet...  You'll be accepting alot of spam
> this way, by default, sendmail issues a 4xx responce to temporary dns
> failures - that'll just slightly delay mail from misconfigured sites.

It's a dialup machine, and I probably don't need that in there any
more now that I have a local dns. I've changed it to access_db.

> > define(`confTO_HOSTSTATUS', `10s')dnl
>
> Why so short, or is your average queue run that short ?

I found that when it was offline it would mark the smart host as
being unreachable and then when I dialed up it wouldn't send the
mail unless I manually intervened. This was the only way I could
find to get it to do what I wanted. I see that now there is a
script in ppp/ip-up.d that takes care of all that but I haven't
tried to use it because what I have seems to do the job (not
broken so don't fix it). I suppose it would be better to write a
ppp/ip-up.d script to call purgestat and runq, maybe one day.

> > define(`confME_TOO')dnl
>
> Now the default (since 8.10.0)

Thanks for all the tips.

Glenn Ramsey <glenn@componic.com>