Re: apt-get remove <package>

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:03:43AM -0400, User zos wrote:
> I wish that Debian used /usr/local more, but I guess its a case of where
> do you draw the line when deciding if something should be in /usr/bin or
> /usr/local/bin. For me, I generally reserve local for stuff that I install
> by hand to keep things somewhat sane. FreeBSD uses the local directory a
> lot though.....all a matter of taste really.

The idea in Debian (and Linux in general, really), is that stuff
installed by the distro's packages should never go in /usr/local--that
way, you can put whatever else you want in /usr/local without having to
worry about it overwriting files from the distro's packages.

--
Tom
"The young always have the same problem -- how to rebel and conform at