Re: Can't open root device

"Jaroslav Knespl" <jaroslav@knespl.cz> writes:
> I am using testing version of debian + 2.2.19 kernel and I would like
> to use 2.4.5.
>
> But when computer boots, a folowing kernel panic message appears:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
>
> Does anybody meat this problem, or can anybody help me to locate where
> might be a problem?

Well, I've had this problem in the past when I stupidly checked the
"module" button for ext2 filesystem. Whatever file system your root
device uses *MUST* be compiled into the kernel, *NOT* as a module. 99
out of 100 times this means you need to compile the ext2 file system
into your kernel and not as a module.

> I use relatively old hardware - Pentium classic MB.
>
> Is there any possibility to examine what chipset and ide controller is
> on my MB without rebooting?

Unless you're using some type of a special IDE chipset this is not
likely to be the problem. IDE, for the most part, is IDE, especially
if you're using the IDE built into your motherboard.

Gary